GUIDE TO MOVING IN OR OUT OF MARIN COUNTY, CA
Are you relocating in or out of Marin County, CA? Whether you are buying or selling Marin County Real Estate, it’s never too early to start preparing for your move. I have gathered useful moving resources to help you stay sane during your move.
Whether you prefer large moving companies or small, locally owned movers, here are the ones I highly recommend and my clients have loved. You can also check this Best Moving Companies Guide from Reviews.com for out of state recommendations.
- Johnson & Daly Moving & Storage – the absolute best, short or long haul. JohnsonDalyMoving.com – (415) 491-4444 or (888) 973-5894
- Earl Farnsworth Express – (800) 201-6683 or (415) 459-6683 – Agent for Mayflower Company – FarnsworthExpress.com
- Ahmed Moving (415 492-2122) – Used to be only local. Now as interstate agent for Wheaton World Wide Moving. Ahmed Moving can move you across the country with the same excellent service that they provide locally – AhmedsMoving.com
- Good Green Moving – Call Jonathan Cook, (415) 686.4665 or Ian Jacobs (415) 261.5293. GoodGreenMoving.com – They are local and green!
- Moving Mountains – Sean Morris (415) 847-4936 TheEasyMove.com – Small local company
Photo Courtesy of Pacific Sun
- Changing Places – Voted Best Home Organizer again in 2016–. Known as “The Organization & Moving Architects,” Changing Places is your ultimate resource for professional organizing, relocation assistance and much more. I highly recommend them.
- Check this great dictionary of moving terms to help make sense of your paperwork and the terminology used by your Move Coordinator.
- ProtectYourMove.gov – The US Department of Transportation website about your rights and responsibilities when you move. Tips on how to protect yourself from moving fraud, how to understand valuation and insurance options, tips for a successful interstate move, and frequently asked questions.
- What Your Movers Won’t Move – Read this article to make sure you know ahead of time where your movers draw the line to avoid being out of luck on moving day.
- Best Home Insurance Guide – Before you move into your new home, make sure you get hazard insurance. This comprehensive guide from Simple Dollar will answer all your questions. Call me for a referral to a local insurance broker after you have read the guide.
- Best of Marin 2016 Home Improvement – Pacific Sun – Once you have moved into your new Marin County, check this list for the best home improvement resources as voted by Marin residents.
- MovingHelpGuide.com – Lots of great tips and resources, including which moving expenses qualify for tax deductions.
USEFUL MOVING TOOLS/CHECKLISTS
- Change your address online – Another great resource from the United States Post Office. From the convenience of your home, change your address officially for a small fee. Well worth it!
- Utilities and Service Provides in Marin County
- Packing Calculator – A useful tool from Allied to help you estimate the packing supply you will need to move your household.
- Moving.com – The ultimate, most comprehensive moving resource when planning your next big move including moving companies, truck rentals, storage companies, coupons, moving guides and tips, moving planner and a moving cost calculator.
- Cost of living comparison between two cities – This calculator is a great tool to help you get an idea of the difference between your cost of living expenses between your current city and your moving destination.
- AreaVibes.com – This site has livability information for thousands of US cities, with information like cost of living, crime rate, demographics, etc. This tool especially comes in handy for those that are considering relocating to a new city and want some in-depth background info.
- Compare Two Cities – Another good tool. It allows you to compare any two cities or zip codes in the United States, including demographics, per capita income, real estate and much more to help you make an educated decision about your relocation.
- Moving with kids – Great tips to help your kids cope before, during and after the move.
- Moversdirectory.com – Another very useful resource with tips on car shipping, self moving, packing and much more…
- Moving Day by TheJoyfulOrganizer.com – I really like this checklist.
- Moving Checklist – Six Weeks to Moving Day – Another great checklist.
- Great Moving Tips – 12 Terrific Moving Tips When You’re Moving Your Home – I love this list!
- How to Move in Six Weeks or Six Days and Keep Your Sanity – Excellent advice on how to make moving less stressful.
- Moving the Green Way
You can also browse my Pinterest board “Tips for a Stress Free Move” with links to over 60 articles including a moving cost calculator, tips on moving with pets, how to pack, whom to notify, and much much more.